I made this for a dinner party. It was delicious. We used lemons from my husband's co-workers tree. This week, our own lemons were ready, and I was reminded of this delicious recipe while I spent an afternoon in the kitchen making preserved lemons with my little guy. He indulged me by posing for a few photos.
here. And feel free to add whatever spices you like. Below I used anise.
Lemon Lavender GelatoServes 8
4 Tablespoons Dried Lavender
4 Large Lemons
1/3 Cup Honey
5 Egg Yolks
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Heavy Cream
2 Cups Whole Milk
1) Peel lemons.
2) In medium saucepan, combine milk, lavender, lemon peel, and honey. Bring to a gentle boil, cover, and remove from heat. Let steep for 15 minutes, then strain mixture reserving the milk and discarding the lavender and lemon peel.
3) Beat egg yolks and sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer on medium-high speed until thick and pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
4) Return milk to the saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Take one cup of the warm milk and mix it into the egg mixture. Next add the egg mixture into the pot with the milk whisking everything together.
5) Continue to cook over low heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Remove from heat and stir in cream. Strain mixture into a bowl and refrigerate until cold.
6) Freeze mixture in an ice cream maker.